Piazza della Libertà

2 Minutes of reading

At the beginning of the 19th century, in the wake of the revolutionary ideals and the new urban planning concept of the century, the first city walls and their gates were demolished to build, as in many cities and towns in Italy, Piazza della Libertà.

Fontana delle Tre Tazze

The project was entrusted to the architect Simelli of Stroncone, who drew it up in 1818. The work, which soon followed, gave the square an appearance very similar to that of today. In the square, opposite the Porta Principale or Main Gate, surmounted by the municipal coat of arms, is the 16th-century Fountain “delle Tre Tazze” which, with its central triangular gable, two lateral dolphins sculpted in bas-relief and three oval basins with lion protomes, displays the typical characteristics of a monumental fountain of elegant and elaborate architecture. The construction of the fountain can be traced back to 1559; in fact, a document from that year attributes its execution, with the exception of the lion heads, to two stonemasons who were probably local: mastro Pietro and mastro Moretto. A public fountain probably already existed there.

In 1880, the fountain underwent an intervention that eliminated the wide staircase leading to it and replaced it with a collection basin for watering livestock, which still exists today.



You might also be interested in...